vcp550 220-802 70-466 70-417 70-243 1z0-060 70-487 m70-301 1z0-599 400-051
Friends link: 350-050 400-051 350-021 ccnp-voice mcdba app-dsk-100 e20-814 m70-301

White Easily Wins GOP District Attorney Nomination

May 22, 2013

Franklin attorney Shawn White captured an easy win in a sometimes acrimonious three-way race for the Republican nomination for Venango County District Attorney in Tuesday’s municipal primary elections.

In November, White will face former assistant D.A. James Carbone, who was unopposed on the Democratic side of the ballot, but who picked up just 63.6 percent of Tuesday’s vote (1,003 votes), while 574 voters cast write-in ballots, according to unofficial tabulations announced Tuesday night.

White garnered 57.3 percent of the county’s GOP vote (2,784) to 22.9 percent (1,113) for assistant District Attorney Brenda Servidio and 19.6 percent (950) for Oil City attorney Michael Hadley.  There were ten Republican write-in votes.

Venango County elections officials say 24.45 percent of all registered voters in the county cast ballots on Tuesday.  That figure included about 30 percent (29.98) of registered Republicans, but only 16.6 percent of the registered Democrats.

Other Venango County offices on the ballot included county sheriff, where incumbent Eric Foy was unopposed, and the position of Magisterial Judge in District 3-1, where sitting judge Andrew Fish also had no opposition.  In the coroner’s race, Christina Rugh captured 72 percent of the vote on the Republican ticket, with Adam Guthrie earning the remaining 28 percent — despite the fact that Guthrie had withdrawn from the field.

Two Republican candidates hoping to win one of two seats on Oil City Council finished the day nearly even with Isaiah Dunham garnering 460 votes to 442 for Sandra Francis.  Democratic candidate Michael Poff had no opposition.  In Franklin, incumbents Sam Lyons (436), Donna Fletcher (423) and Garnet Wood (377) will all appear on the November ballot, along with the lone Democratic candidate, Daniel Weiland, vying for three at-large City Council posts.  Republican Jennifer Horne was unopposed in seeking a Council seat from Franklin’s 3rd District.  Also unopposed was Franklin’s incumbent mayor, Doug Baker.

Among the closest of municipal races was the Republican nomination for the Sugarcreek Borough mayor’s post.  There, incumbent Charles Minnick edged challenger Jeff MacKensie 244 votes to 232.  Also in Sugarcreek Borough, Robert Reisinger outpolled James Speth 70-66 for the Republican nomination for a Borough Council seat from the 5th District.  Larry Joe Baughman (1st District) and former Mayor John McClelland (4th District) both ran unopposed on the Republican ticket.

Jerry Brosius (389 votes) won a race with Craig Adams (313) for the Republican nod for a Cranberry Township supervisors position, while Jennifer Sharpe Kennedy was the leading GOP vote-getter in a three-way race for Cranberry tax collector.  Lance Mitchell, Hal Carbaugh, Camae Bunyak and Robert Betzold earned Republican nominations for Cranberry Area School Board, while the Democratic nominations went to Mitchell, Bunyak, Carbaugh and Lynn Morrow.  Becky Hedglin (47) outpolled Daniel Kaylor (13) for the Republican nomination for Clintonville mayor, while Jason Shaw (49), James Bollinger (45), Suzanne Sandrock (45) and Steven Gladd (42) wrapped up the party’s nominations for Clintonville Borough Council posts.  Homer Hill (Rep.) and James Meagher (Dem.) won narrow races for nominations for President Township supervisors.  Charlene Armstrong (Dem.) and Ann Warner (Rep.) are the nominees for Cherrytree Township supervisor.

In an interesting turn of events in Barkeyville, where four candidates had filed as Democrats for three seats on Borough Council, the 23 write-in votes that were tabulated took the top honors.  Candidates Randall Martin (17 votes), Guy Surrena (17) and Milton Harris (16) appear to have garnered the nominations.  Jeffrey McConnell earned 15 votes.

There was one statewide race on the Democratic ballot as Allegheny County Judge Jack McVay won nomination for an open seat on Pennsylvania Superior Court over Philadelphia Municipal Court Judge Joseph Waters by a 55 percent to 44 percent margin.  McVay will face unopposed Republican candidate Vic Stabile in November.

Venango Weather