Experts: Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

December 26, 2013
By

Medical officials are reminding us about the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from heating equipment and other sources.

A working carbon monoxide detector can give you an early warning that could save your life.

The Pennsylvania Chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians reminds us that experts say using a kerosene heater for supplemental warmth, locating a generator too close to your house or running a heater in an attached garage can all put you at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning.

The website Mayoclinic.com lists the symptoms of such poisoning as dull headaches, weakness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision and loss of consciousness.  It adds that, if someone exposed to carbon monoxide is sleeping or intoxicated, the fumes could be fatal before anyone realizes there is a problem.

If you suspect you have been exposed to carbon monoxide fumes, you should immediately find fresh air, including opening windows and doors, and seek emergency medical help.

Experts also say long term exposure to small amounts of carbon monoxide can make you sick and could affect your cognitive abilities.

Venango Weather