Cigarette And Oxygen Machine Combine To Cause Titusville Apartment Building Fire

June 24, 2013
By

Investigators believe a fire early Saturday morning that affected the residents of four apartments in a Titusville apartment complex was caused by a match being struck to light a cigarette by a woman who was also using an oxygen machine.

The fire, shortly before 3:00 AM Saturday morning, apparently spread from the oxygen machine to the woman’s bed and then into the rest of her apartment.  The woman fled the scene with her five year-old granddaughter, and the only injury reported was to the woman’s hand.

Four fire companies responded to the Rockwood Drive complex, and had the blaze under control in about a half-hour.  Three other apartments sustained smoke and water damage.

A State Police fire marshal is investigating, and is expected to confirm the initial theory as to the cause of the fire.

Venango Weather