A fire late Monday night at Gannon University’s Hammermill Center in downtown Erie apparently began in an electrical panel in the building’s basement.
A small explosion in a breaker box apparently caused flames to climb a wall to the upper floors. The fire was discovered around 10:45 PM. Power was shut off to the surrounding neighborhood while the blaze was being battled.
No injuries were reported, and there was no report of a damage estimate.
University officials do not believe the fire will cause too many schedule changes, since most students are on Christmas break.